October 03, 2024

Translation: Satin Doll (Shigeru Suzuki)

Before I found out how good the lyrics to Rainy Station are, Satin Doll (Suzuki/Matsumoto) was my favorite song on Caution. The only Caramel Mama member playing on it is Shigeru himself, but if Discogs didn't have the line-up details, I'd swear it was pure Tin Pan Alley magic.

The chorus-closing tag ("you're a satin doll,"
君はサテン・ドール) was hard to deal with. The literal, word-for-word translation felt too awkward to include. At the other extreme, omitting the tag left the choruses too spare. So I got creative trying to strike a balance.

The second chorus ("evading my feelings...") is mostly guesswork. 

This completes my work on Caution, since the remaining songs — the two that open Side B  don't have Takashi lyrics. They're nice tunes, if more pedestrian in arrangement than what's on Side A. One of the songs has a pre-YMO Ryuichi Sakamoto on piano and the other has Caramel Mama.



:::



A sip of Bloody Mary
moistens your lips.
The tremolo of ocean waves
fills the seaside terrace.

You give me a strange smile
all covered in the colors 
of tropical flowers in bloom...
satin doll that you are.

A second sip of Bloody Mary.
Your hair is swaying.
The light of the Southern Cross
pierces the curtains of the night.

Evading my feelings
as they lean your way,
your red shoes retreat...
satin doll that you are.

You've drained your Bloody Mary
and now your cheeks are burning up.
The damp tone of the piano
is quivering within me.

Life is a carnival.
We sing la la la la.
And in the middle of the night,
barely able to keep my feet,
I begin to dance with you, 
my satin doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translation: Falling Thickly, Piling Up (Happy End)

You can glimpse the Haruomi Hosono of Kazemachi Roman and beyond in  Falling Thickly, Piling Up (Hosono/Matsumoto). Takashi was surprised w...