August 30, 2024

Translation: A Battle without Honor or Humanity (Hiroshi Kamayatsu)

Hiroshi Kamayatsu, whose 1975 album opens with A Battle without Honor or Humanity (Hosono/Matsumoto) (and follows up with another Matsumoto song, but without Hosono involvement) (and Side B opens with an Eiichi Ohtaki song) was a Group Sounds figure, ten years older than the Happy End guys. He emceed the final Happy End concert in late 1973, but audience gave him a reception so cold that the band had to switch emcees halfway through. Happy End fans were a morose bunch, back in the day.

You might know this song as Track 3 of the 20th Century Pops
I've spent all year going nuts for it, not suspecting the lyrics were awesome too.

The title is probably a reference to a 1973 movie of the same name, about yakuza activity in postwar Hiroshima. Leave it to Takashi to relocate the battleground to a relationship. ("Why don't you come on back to the war?")

There is a line in Robert Christgau's review of Under the Red Sky: "I believe he's gritted his teeth through the bad patches of a long-term sexual relationship even if he still measures the long term in months." That notion of gritted teeth has helped me persevere through countless fights with my wife. When I manage to keep in mind that bad patches do come no matter what, as well as that the two of us probably will make it out the other end again, the misery and bitterness I feel in the midst of a conflict become considerably more bearable. So I'll be adding this song to the liturgy. "Don't give up! I can make it!" — with a whole chorus of backing singers giving me strength. 

Granted, the narrator appears to be one of Takashi's "cool tough guy" male protagonists, not exactly given to deep self-reflection (see also Rainy Station and Tsupparing Blues). He isn't spending the lulls in their fight searching his soul.

But -- as much as soul-searching can help -- there are times when you really do just have to battle it out.



:::



Lately, my girlfriend and I have been fighting —
you know, the kind where nobody's talking:
exchanging glares, ignoring one another.

Sparks are flying all over.
It's the calm before the storm.
Ah, but my girlfriend's so attractive
even when she's mad.

Crying is always her last resort.
No giving up! I can make it!
Tears are formidable.
It's a battle without honor or humanity.

Misunderstandings. Jealousy. False charges. Suspicion.
Complexities! Profundities!
Too much for me to handle.

She's keeping silent, facing away:
a volcano on the verge of eruption.
A single touch and she'll blow up.
You'll see.

Her secret weapon 
is sharp, sharp claws.
No giving up! I can make it!
No letting my guard down.
No weakening. 

Crying is her last resort.
No giving up! I can make it!

Crying is her last resort.
No giving up! I can make it!

Crying is her last resort.
No giving up! I can make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translation: It's Springtime, Mon Amour (Miki Fujimura)

Hosono had a strange 1983 even by his own standards. Naughty Boys is beautiful and bizarre enough all by itself, but then there's the mi...