July 13, 2024

Translation: White Parasol (Seiko Matsuda)

The first three songs Takashi wrote for Seiko (of about a hundred and forty!) had music by Kazuo Zaitsu of the band Tulip. I think White Parasol (Zaitsu/Matsumoto) was the first Matsuda #1 hit with Takashi lyrics. The song is nothing too fancy, either lyrically or musically, but it's sweet. And this TV performance really brings out the sweetness (and helped with the translation, actually, since Seiko acts out some of the lines). 



:::



Now please.
Tell me your true feelings.
In my hair are jasmine flowers.
I'm bathing in the summer showers.

The sky is made of emerald.
It's you who sent me an invitation.
I won't act as if you didn't, 
no matter how ambiguous
you're being about it now.

Under the white parasol on the beach,
my heart is like an hourglass.
I want to get to know you.
Soon I think I'll be in love.

I wish you'd carry me away
on a dinghy that cleaves the wind...
a little darkness in your eyes
would be a lovely thing, you know.

Now if I strung my tears together
into a pearl necklace,
I'd make a gift of it to you —
yes, to you, who act so cold.

Under the white parasol on the beach,
the answer's blowing in the wind.
I want to get to know you.
Soon I think I'll be in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translation: Wayside Grass (Chu Kosaka)

Commenting on Arigatou's songs as I post these translations has got me addicted to the album again. The more I listen to it, the more be...