July 23, 2024

Translation: Morning (Happy End)

By 1970, it wasn't just Buffalo Springfield that the guys in Happy End had in their collection of imported LPs; there was Neil Young's first solo album (1968), which proved similarly influential, and even the first Crosby, Stills & Nash (1969). So they knew the softer side of Stephen Stills. Eiichi Ohtaki used it as his model for Morning.

Who says derivative things can't also be beautiful?



:::



Morning leaks through
the gaps in the curtain,
enfolding you tenderly
where you lay.
Light comes to play
on the white of the wall.
You're beautiful, 
sleeping there.

Morning is moving
inside of me too.

I'd been living alone
with my face turned away,
and I couldn't see a thing,
and I couldn't hear a thing.
And it seems
so long ago now.

"You're awake?"
you say sleepily.
Your eyes are open a crack
and you're smiling.
I don't answer,
I just take a deep breath.
It's warm here,
and winter
is outside our window.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translation: Wayside Grass (Chu Kosaka)

Commenting on Arigatou's songs as I post these translations has got me addicted to the album again. The more I listen to it, the more be...